You must agree with me that IITians have something very special in them. For many students, IIT is a dream in itself.
Every big company around the world prefers IITians to work in their company because they stand out from the crowd of engineers in India. From the Indian start-up sector to the United States big businessmen, IITians are shaping and making this world a better place to live in.
In this post, I will be sharing a list of some famous IIT Alumni who really made it big and making India proud.
1. N. R. Narayana Murthy – (IIT Kanpur)
- NR Narayana Murthy was the founder and former chairman of Infosys.
- Narayana Murthy was born on 20 August 1946 in Shidlaghatta, Chikkaballapura district of Karnataka.
- Graduated from Narayana Murthy National Institute of Engineering in 1967 with a degree in Electrical Engineering, completing his Masters degree from IIT Kanpur in 1969.
- Narayana Murthy has received Padma Shri from Government of India in 2000 and Padma Vibhushan in 2008 from Government of India.
2. Nandan Nilekani – (IIT Bombay)
- Nandan Nilekani is one of the founding members of Infosys who later served as CEO from March 2002 to April 2007.
- He joined the Indian National Congress in March 2014 and contested from Bangalore South constituency, where he lost in the 2014 Lok Sabha election to BJP candidate Ananth Kumar by 228,575 votes.
- Nilekani studied at Bishop Cotton Boys’ School and St. Joseph’s High School Dharwad, Karnataka PU College Dharwad and obtained a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from the IIT Bombay.
3. Manohar Parrikar – (IIT Bombay)
- His full name is Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar, he was born on 13 December 1955 in Mapusa, Goa.
- He completed his engineering studies from IIT Bombay in 1978.
- Manohar Parrikar was a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and had been the Defense Minister in the Government of India. He was the first Chief Minister of Goa from 2000 to 2005 (the first BJP Chief Minister of Goa) and later from March 2012 to November 2014.
4. Sundar Pichai – (IIT Kharagpur)
- His full name is Pichai Sundararajan, who was born in Madras and received his early education from there.
- Pichai did his B.Tech in Metallurgy Engineering from IIT Kharagpur. He is M.S. from Stanford University and an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.That Alphabet Inc. and is the CEO of Google.
5. Vinod Khosla – (IIT Delhi)
- Vinod Khosla is an American businessman who has been named in Forbes magazine’s list of billionaires.He is one of the co-founders of Sun Microsystems.
- Khosla founded his own venture capital firm, Khosla Ventures, in 2004.He read about the founding of Intel in the Electronic Engineering Times at the age of fourteen, and it inspired him to pursue engineering as a career.
- He did Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering from IIT Delhi and received several degrees from Stanford Graduate School of Business (MBA).
6. Sridhar Vembu – (IIT Madras)
- Sridhar Vembu is an Indian-born billionaire businessman and the founder and CEO of Zoho Corporation.
- Sridhar was born in 1968 to a farmer in a village in Tanjore, Tamil Nadu. He completed his studies in electrical engineering from IIT Madras in 1989 and then did his MS and PhD degrees from Princeton University, New Jersey.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award, in 2021. He was also appointed to the National Security Advisory Board (NSAB) of India in 2021.
7. Sachin Bansal -(IIT Delhi)
- Sachin Bansal is a software engineer and a businessman and one of the founders of Flipkart. Till 2016, Bansal held the position of CEO and from 2016 to 2018, he held the position of Executive Chairman.
- Bansal took a degree in computer engineering from IIT Delhi in 2005. In 2015, Bansal was named as the 86th richest person in India by Forbes India.
8. Binny Bansal – (IIT Delhi)
- Binny Bansal was born in 1982, he hails from Chandigarh. Binny Bansal holds a degree in Computer Science and Engineering from IIT Delhi.
- Binny Bansal is an Indian software engineer and Internet entrepreneur who is best known as the co-founder of India’s largest e-commerce platform Flipkat with Sachin Bansal in 2007. He served as COO at Flipkart till 2016 and then took over as CEO from 2016 to 2018.
9. Chetan Bhagat – (IIT Delhi)
- Chetan Bhagat was born on 22 April 1974 in Delhi. Chetan did his Mechanical Engineer degree from IIT Delhi in 1995 and MBA from IIM Ahmedabad.
- He is an Indian author, best known for his English-language novels about young and urban middle-class Indians.
- His bestsellers like 5 Point Someone, 3 Mistakes of My Life and Half Girlfriend have sold millions of copies in India
10. Deepinder Goyal – (IIT Delhi)
- Deepinder Goyal is the founder and CEO of Zomato. He was born on 26 January 1983, he hails from Muktsar Punjab. He obtained his engineering degree in Mathematics and Computing from IIT Delhi in 2005.
- Zomato is one of the largest restaurant aggregator and food delivery service in India. Along with India, Zomato is available in over 24 countries such as UAE, Sri Lanka, Qatar, UK, Indonesia and over 10,000 cities.